Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Welcome to My Blog

Since this is my first post in the blog-o-sphere, I will try not to be too ambitious. I will just simply say: I love food. While I have some preferences (crab, lobster, ribeye, peaches, tomatoes, cookies, etc.), I am willing to try almost anything. For the past few years, I have been searching for the perfect restaurant. Here is the criteria: close to home (not more than 10 miles or so), not too expensive, open for breakfast/lunch/dinner, unique menu items, an everchanging specials menu, casual atmosphere, friendly and attentive service, and of course GOOD FOOD! I am lucky to live in an area that has its fair share of restaurants. Although they seem to be mostly Italian fare, I have a favorite sushi restaurant (Yama Sushi in Denville, NJ), seafood restaurant (South City Grill in Mountain Lakes, NJ), steak place (okay, that's in our own backyard), and Tex-Mex (Rattlesnake Ranch Cafe, also in Denville). Even a favorite diner (Hibernia Diner in Rockaway, NJ). Yet, none of these places truly meets my "Perfect Restaurant Criteria".

I admit to being a follower of The Food Network's "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives". Not so much for the theatrics of Guy Fieri, but for the vicarious enjoyment of all the neat places he gets to visit. Places where everything is homemade. Where the menu is designed by the chef, not by a corporation. Places where, once you've been there a few times, they greet you by name and seat you at your favorite table. The closest I have ever come to this restaurant nirvana was a place called "Eat-a-Pita" in Southwest Harbor, Maine. We stumbled across this gem by accident while on vacation there in September 2007, and proceeded to visit 5 (or 6?) more times in one week. That's what I'm talking about!

But, a girl's got to eat, so in this blog you will also hear about new recipes we tried, old recipes we love, the places we travel, and the epicurious delights (or nightmares) we find there. Hope you enjoy yourself, and let me know what you think!

No comments: